Hebrew word meaning meat or meat food product
1) The portion of dough biblically mandated to be given to the Cohen
(Jewish priestly caste)
2) Festive bread, often braided, used for the Sabbath and Jewish holiday
Hebrew word meaning milk or dairy food product
1) Any of the five biblical grains (oat, rye, barley, wheat and spelt) that have
been exposed to water for more than eighteen minutes.
2) Any foods produced from any of the five biblical grains that have been
exposed to water for more than eighteen minutes.
3) Any foods produced on equipment that has been used to produce anything
from the five biblical grains that have been exposed to water for more than
Yiddish word meaning meat or meat food product
Yiddish word meaning smooth. Pertains to the smooth surface of an animal’s
Often used in contemporary America to refer to a higher standard of kosher.
Kosher food supervision
Pertaining to kosher
Jewish dietary laws
1) Process of cleaning and purging equipment so that the equipment can be
used to process food in a kosher fashion
2) The de-veining, soaking and salting process used prior to consumption of
kosher slaughtered meat.
Person responsible to oversee a food operation so as to insure its compliance
with kosher law.
Unleavened flat bread used on Passover
Lit. boiled. Usually pertains to the pasteurization of grape juice used in and of
itself or for wine making.
Yiddish word meaning milk or dairy food product.
Food or equipment that is neither meat nor dairy.
The process wherein certain forbidden fats and veins are removed from a
kosher slaughtered animal prior to the soaking and salting process.
Certified ritual slaughterer
Kosher slaughter method
The sabbatical year
Trumos and Ma’asros
Portions of food grown in the land of Israel that are either biblically or
rabbinically mandated to be separated prior to consumption of the food.
consultations and supervisions
Rabbi Yisroel Finman, Director